- Lay Medium Sized box out flat.
- Cut Box in Half.
- Open up box after cutting in half.
- Lay cleaned wheel on top.
- Cut excess material away.
- Place at least 2 sheets of dish foam on face of wheel.
- Tape dish foam to tire so it doesn't move around.
- Secure large circular piece of cardboard over dish wrap to the face of the wheel.
- Cut excess material into partitions that will be used for back of wheel.
- Use packing tape to secure partitions in place.
- Use 100% recyclable packing wrap to wrap the wheels and tires in any motion (Rocking the wheel back and forth works well).
- The tighter the packing wrap, the more secure & protected the wheel will be in transit.
- ShipNex (the lowest price shipping option) requires all tires to be boxed in its own cardboard box: "Additional handling charges apply to any cylindrical item, such as a barrel, drum, pail, or tire, that is not fully encased in a corrugated cardboard shipping container".
- From following our guide, your tires should already be protected and ready to be placed in a box. Once the tire is placed in a cardboard shipping box of your choice, fill the remaining voids with crinkled-up newspaper (or magazines), packaging peanuts, dish wrap, or bubble wrap to prevent the tire from moving around inside the box.
- If you don't have a suitable sized box sitting around, try locating some (free) large retail shipping boxes from your local grocer or retail store. If you have no cardboard shipping boxes large enough to ship your packaged and protected wheels, use these helpful tutorials to build your own cardboard box from scratch: a) How to Make a Cardboard Box with 2 Pieces and b) How to Make a Cardboard Box out of Cardboard.
c) Office Depot sells a 20-pack of the 36" x 36" corrugated cardboard sheets for $23.99. This should give you enough cardboard to build 4 custom boxes for your tires.
d) 30" x 30" x 25" boxes (set of 5) for $53.30
- To ensure your compliance with ShipNex policies, please review the ShipNex "Avoid Charges" page.
- After you have boxed up each tire...
- Check out ShipNex Worldwide Express for cost effective shipping rates.
- Print shipping labels from ShipNex
- Attach paid shipping labels to each box (not pictured)
- Request pick up for ~ $6, or take down to local UPS store
- Share with others, avoid high shipping costs from store front retailers & try ShipNex!
Research and Shop Online with Discount Tire
See what car enthusiasts have said about using ShipNex when shipping their wheels.
- ShipNex can offer the most cost effective solutions to your shipping needs, because of the wholesale rates available and contracts they hold with FedEx & UPS.
- ShipNex uses FedEx for Express Shipments & UPS for any Ground Shipments.
- When I compared prices to ship a set of wheels & tires (18 x 8.5 w/ 235/35/18 tyres ~210lbs)
I was quoted $416 via UPS, $376 via USPS, $308 via FedEx, and $206 via ShipNex to
ship from the West Coast to the East Coast.